Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"If the family were a container, it would be a nest, an enduring nest, loosely woven, expansive, and open. If the family were a fruit, it would be an orange, a circle of sections, held together but separable?each segment distinct. If the family were a boat, it would be a canoe that makes no progress unless everyone paddles.... If the family were a building, it would be an old but solid structure that contains human history, and appeals to those who see the carved moldings under all the plaster, the wide plank floors under the linoleum, the possibilities."
-Letty Cottin Pogrebin



The lovely girl above is my 77 year old nana. She's gorgeous, isn't she?

I'm in the process of making her a photo book of her life through mypublisher.com, a process that has given me ample time to play with old negatives... scanning them and then watching in amazement as they blaze to life on the screen thanks to editing software. That's how I found these gems... the photos themselves are long gone, but here is my nana.. tiny and dancing on my screen.

Nana has one more round with chemo before they check to see if her cancer is gone. She's had a horrible time with her treatment, and it's hard to see her hurting and well, old. I've been so taken with the creation of this book.. of seeing Nana as a gorgeous girl, or young bride, or new mom.


H. Lorraine, my Nana


Nana and Papa marry, 58 years ago (!!)


Nana with my mama. My favorite picture....

...Please, if you pray, say a prayer that my Nana's tests proclaim her cancer free and that she enjoys many more healthy years with her family.

<3




3 comments:

Jbeeky said...

Beautiful Post!
Thank You!

lioness' den said...

I love you. she must be proud to call you her grand daughter. I know I'm proud to call you my friend.

I miss you more than tongue can tell.

Jacqui said...

Erin,

Your Nana pics are great! I should show you a pic of my mom in a box that is similar to the last pic posted of your mom. Those are too precious. Do you have one of James doing the same?

QJ